Monday, March 31, 2008


The Unofficial Online Guide to the
KANSAS Division of Motor Vehicles
Entering the Kansas DMV guide allows you to search all the needed details for an efficient transaction with the Division of Motor Vehicles. Easy and quick access to your needs saves time, reduces stress and of course have a successful transaction.
Whether you live in populated or apart houses somewhere in Kansas, you can still reach with us to the nearest office of the DMV and look for the needed information in order for you to have a successful transaction. Through this flow, you need not travel to the main office if you are located far from it; hence you can still do important things or may even enjoy the rest of the remaining time of the day.

In so far as DMV.Org would like to bring you all the looked-for information regarding the right procedure through the bureaucracy of driver’s license renewals, motor vehicle registrations, finding the best insurance offers, and even driving lesson for teens. And we’re here to help you in the course of payment of traffic tickets to do’s in case of accidents or damages done to your new car.

All of these things come packed with comprehensive articles, user friendly, and having a readable format with corresponding answers to your questions starting from how to get your first driver’s license ,the new harmful equipments required for commercial drivers, boat registration, and setting appointments with great lawyers for personal injury or car accident claims. We also have recommendations for new and used cars to avoid false inducements and if you’re new residents we can introduce you to Kansas as well.

When you’re done, it’ll be our pleasure to serve you of your own accord as soon your teens are ready to apply for their student’s permit and driver’s license. DMV.ORG wants to serve as your impulsive source of your needs regarding to Kansas Division of Motor Vehicles.

Drivers License & ID

This category contains all the things needed in the application for Kansas driver’s license or state identification card at the Kansas Division of Motor Vehicle.

We have completely compiled all the requirements and corresponding topics regarding the driver’s license and state identification card such as military licensing information and for drivers whose driving knowledge is abridge or limited because of disabilities.

We focus more on the related topics in driving concisely and easy to understand. Information about auto insurance is discussed clearly and we also provide copy of Kansas Driver Handbook. New drivers coming from far places are even guided to look for the nearest home for driver’s education class.

Everything that deals with Kansas driver’s license and Identification cards are all packed here this category with lots of information that will surely save your time along the road.

Applying for a New License

New format of driver’s license have been made since May 2004. You’ll get a temporary receipt instead of receiving your license at the station where licensure examination for drivers is held. Make sure that the details on your application are correct because your new license will be mailed to the address written on the application.

Be sure to surrender all valid out-of-the-state licenses when you are applying for new driver’s license for no one is allowed to have more than one license at any time.

Preparing for the Test

The driver’s license examination is composing of three parts such as the visual screening, written examination and test driving. The handbook provided will help you on the test and you’ll most probably pass if you have studied it well.

You’ll be allowed t continue with the rest of the tests if you have passed the vision test otherwise you’ll be asked to have eyes check-up by an ophthalmologist or an optometrist if it has been proven that you have eye defect before continuing the test.

If applicable, you’ll have to undergo driving exam after passing the written examination. You also must have with you the specific vehicle that you are applying for so that the examiner will have a proper checking of your vehicle for your own safety and as a proof of insurance as well before the start of the test.

You’ll most probably encounter the following during your driving examination:

 Making a smooth stop
 Reversing your car for about 50 ft. away from your current place at a slow speed straightly at smoothly as possible
 Hill parking
 Parallel parking
 Hand position on the steering wheel
 How and when to use the horn
 Corner approach
 Traffic lights and signals
 Stop signs
 Right-of-way
 Keeping in lane
 Following
 Overtaking rules
 Starting on a grade
 Clutch, for manual users
 Changing of gear

You may take the exam again the next working days in case you fail to pass either the written or driving test but you’ll be given four chances to pass the examinations. If after the fourth chance of the test you failed, then you must wait for another six month interval before you can take the re-test. So you must take the tests with sufficient knowledge or you might as well wait for six months for re-test.

First-time License, 18 Years old and up

These are the following requirements if this would be your first time to have a license:
• Pass the vision examination
• Pass all the written examinations
• Pass the driving test with the vehicle you brought
• Present a valid identity proof
• Pay the necessary fees

Teen License

Below 16 years of age is required to have a parental approval.
Instruction Permit
• Must be 14 years of age

• Must have passed the vision and written examinations

• You could also drive any time you want as long as there is an accompaniment of a licensed adult driver (must be 18 years and up)

• You must have held an instruction permit for at least 6 months in order to get a restricted license.

Under the Restricted Driver’s License:
• Must be below 16 years of age

• Parental consent is required

• Driver’s education completion slip

• Must have at least 6 months of instruction permit, where you should have completed at least 25 hours of supervised driving. Before you turn 16, 25 hours is required and all the 50 hours can be completed anytime after obtaining your instruction permit.

• You must have provided an affidavit before you turn 16 or you’ll be having a restriction on your license until you reach 17 or until you turn in the affidavit, whichever will come first. Under your affidavit, be it shown there that you have been supervised by a licensed driver, maybe professional or at least 21 years old, for a 40-hour-day-driving and 10-hour-night driving.

• Having a restricted license, you may drive with the school but not the school activities. You may drive in connection with any job or farm-related work any time as long as there is an accompaniment of a licensed adult driver, at least 18 years old and above. Bare in mind that you cannot transport a non-relatives younger than 18.

Please note: Internet courses do not meet Kansas requirements for a driver's license. Only driver education programs offered through a local, accredited school district are acceptable. If you are unsure whether a program has been approved you may contact the Department of Education at (785) 296-8107 or the Kansas Division of Vehicles at (785) 296-3963.

Unrestricted Driver’s License (for 16-17 years old)

 You must present an affidavit containing 40 hours of day driving and 10 hours of night driving being supervised by an adult or professional licensed driver.
 You must pass all the written, vision examination and the driving test.


New State Residents

For new residents of Kansas, you’ll be given 90 days to acquire new license from the date of your residency. Active personnel of the military and full-time students are not required to get Kansas licenses.

For those who has another valid out- of-state license:

 You must present acceptable identity proof
 You must have passed the vision examination
 You must pay the necessary fees
 Lastly, you must not have your license be disregarded, suspended, or revoked in any state.


Driving Privileges for Non-Residents

Kansas’ visitors coming from different countries are obviously licensed in their own country. In this case, they may enjoy driving within the place for one year provided that they have an International Driver Permit coming from their country home for the purpose of it, being understandable to the U.S. officials.
If you're interested in obtaining a Kansas license, refer to the state's page on this matter to see what types of identification are needed for your situation. Call (785) 296-3963 for more information on how to apply for a license as a non-citizen.
Change of Address

In case you change your address within Kansas, you have 10 days to inform the Kansas Department of Revenue about your new address.
License Fees
• Commercial instruction permit (any class): $5 for 90 days
• Commercial Class A, B or C: $18 for four years
• Commercial license endorsements (per endorsement) $10 for four years
• Non-commercial Class A or B instruction permit: $2 for three months
• Non-commercial Class A or B (driver younger than 21 or 65 and older): $16 for four years
• Non-commercial Class A or B (driver at least 21 but younger than 65) $24 for six years
• Non-commercial Class C (driver younger than 21 or 65 and older): $12 for four years
• Non-commercial Class C (driver at least 21 but younger than 65): $18 for six years
• Class M (driver younger than 21 or 65 and older): $9 for four years
• Class M (driver at least 21 but younger than 65): $12.50 for six years
• Replacement license or instruction permit (any class): $8
• Exam fee: $3
• Photo fee: $4

Applying for an Identification Card
Land, air and water transportation and even other transactions needs identification card. In case you’re living in Kansas without a license, you’ll need to have an identification card issued by the state. You have to go to the station where licensure exam is held any day of the week except Monday and apply for your identification card not considering where you reside in Kansas.
How to Apply
You need to present two documents of identity proof in order for you to get a state ID. Fees are $14 plus $4 photo fee for person of legal age up to 64 years old and for senior citizens would be $10 plus $4 photo fee.


ID Renewals
Your Identification card will be valid until six years, by then you should receive a renewal notice before the expiration date of your ID comes.

Driver Education
In Kansas it is not a requirement for a student driver to have a driver education courses but of course it would be better if you have undergone such education to widen your knowledge in driving and it’s also for your own safety along the road. It will also lessen your insurance expenses. Through the driver’s education courses being offered, your knowledge in driving would be enough to take the examinations and driving test easily. Traffic laws are being tackled in the course as well as signs and symbols for you to be able to identify such things during the written exam and for later application.

Driver's education courses consist of classroom instruction and driving time with a licensed instructor. Topics covered in the classroom include:
The driver’s education courses are lead by a licensed instructor that provides classroom instructions and driving schedule and the scope of the classroom are as follow:
 Basic skills in operating a vehicle

 Driving risks

 Drivers license handbook

 Traffic rules and regulations

 Undesirable weather condition

 Legal issues and accountabilities

But of course it doesn’t mean that if you took a driver’s license education course you’ll be guaranteed to have an instant license, you still need to pass the three examinations. And be informed that online driver education courses do not pass the prerequisites of Kansas unless the programs are offered through local and accredited school district that have been approved by the Department of Education of Kansas.

1-4 Traffic Schools
Kansas does not continue to give points on your records in driving even if most of the states use pint system to rate the significance of traffic breach. But still, there are definite contraventions that force them to revoke your driver’s license and further you’ll be convicted if you have committed three major violations in a year.
However, paying your penalties and attending an official traffic school program will reduce serious offenses incurred.

1-4-a Traffic School Eligibility
If you are interested in attending traffic school, call the number listed on the back of the traffic ticket to ask if this option is available for your offense.

If you are eligible for traffic school, the DMV will send you a list of approved courses. Alternatively, you may call the Kansas Department of Revenue's Division of Motor Vehicles at (785) 296-3671. Customer service representatives are available Tuesday-Thursday from 8:10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

1-4-b Traffic School Options
Contrary to popular belief, attending traffic school does not have to be a difficult experience.

It's true that online courses do not satisfy driver education requirements in Kansas, but you may be given the option of taking online courses for traffic school. These allow you to study and complete lessons at your own pace.

Even classroom-based courses often have night and weekend options to accommodate work schedules, child care needs, and other commitments.

Remember, whether it's online or classroom-based, if the class isn't included in the list of approved courses the DMV gives you, it's not acceptable by the state.

1-4-c Traffic School and Your Auto Insurance Rates
In addition to helping remove minor offenses from your driving record, attending traffic school may also reduce your auto insurance rates.
If you are interested in using a traffic school course to lower your insurance premiums, ask your agent for assistance in selecting an appropriate program. Each insurance company typically has slightly different requirements for which traffic school courses are acceptable.

Sunday, March 30, 2008


How to Renew your CDL
The State of Illinois requires all drivers with CDL or commercial driver’s license to renew their licenses personally. This is because identity theft has been prevalent in the last years. Any Secretary of State in Illinois can help you with the renewal process but not all of them provide practical skills tests.
Bring these requirements when you apply for a CDL renewal:
1. Your previous license
2. Cash. This is for the application fees. The State of Illinois usually don’t accept debit or credit cards so come prepared.
The necessary fees to pay are as follows:
1. $60= the basic application fee
2. $5= Endorsement renewal fee or for any upgrade in classification. It is $5 each
Aside from the fees, you may also be required to:
1. Undergo a vision examination every time you renew
2. Written examinations. Although this is held every other renewal. Drivers will exceptionally clean records are exempt from this exam.
3. Skills test for those renewing their licenses who are over 75 years of age.
4. For those with hazmat endorsements, you must pass the hazmat endorsement test every CDL renewal.

For those who are required to take the CDL test again, it may be a good idea to keep up with the current manual for any changes or law revisions that may have been implemented since you last took the test. This is to ensure that you will pass your exam easily.
For drivers who have lost their old Illinois license, they must apply for a duplicate as soon as possible. Remember that you can’t apply for a CDL renewal if you do not have your old license with you. So make sure that you have the proper requirements at least a month before your CDL expires.
For drivers who have lost their licenses to theft however, you will have to bring the official police report file along with the application to the driver service office. You will also have to provide valid proofs of identity for them to process your application.
Proofs of identity vary so make sure to contact the personnel first on what documents will suffice when you apply for a replacement.
Also check with your local office about their service hours because some of the driver services offices are open during Saturdays but not on Mondays.


The Virginia Motor Vehicles Division handles the issuance of vehicle registrations and titles, and it maintains the official vehicle ownership and registration records in Kansas.

During the sale of a vehicle, the Virginia DMV confirms the legal owner of the registered vehicle. The Virginia DMV also regulates the issuance of decals, or tags. These issues of decals or tags are proofs that the registration and paperwork of a vehicle in Virginia DMV is current.

You will need to apply for a replacement at the DMV if you loose your Virginia vehicle registration. There are also other transactions that the Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles is handling like car insurance and registration of a salvaged vehicle. The Virginia DMV also extends assistance to disabled individuals and members of the military.


The Department of Motor Vehicles oversees the issuance of title. Titles will protect you against theft and will also help the state upon locating your vehicles. When a car changes its ownership, the processing and applying for title is required. Likewise when you purchase your vehicle under account or borrowed your funds, the title will have the marked “lien” by the DMV.

When you purchased a vehicle under a lien, you will be considering to pay it wholly likewise you might be confused or unknowledgeable on how to transfer the title, when changing the name the name to the title, on transferring the title, and of what necessary documents are to bring.

Transferring the Title to a Buyer

Privately selling the vehicle into buyer, you must need to sign the title named into the new owner. Then the new owner will process the title in their name to the DMV.

The Section A which is on the front of the title which has spaces including the sellers’ name, the name and address of the buyer, and record the up-to-date odometer reading of the car purchased: should be fills up. Also added the space on how much did you sell the vehicle likewise when it is donated, you should write “charitable donation” Thus the buyer too need to fills in his or her name, address, and signs the title.

Titling Vehicles with Liens

When you purchase the car under an account, terms, or simply borrowed money to buy it; the title with its recorded lien will be given to the lien holder who is the lender, however the registration card and license plates will be furnished for you.

Titling Your Vehicle after Paying Off a Loan

The lien holder will then notify the DMV within 10 days that you already have paid off the lien. The lien holder will mark the title as “lien satisfied” then send it to you. Upon receiving the “lien satisfied” title then you can replace the title at the DMV to clear the title and change any necessary modification within the license. Yet you’ll need to pay $10 as title fee.

Also you need to assure that the lien holder already inform the DMV when it is not, you need to bring the title to any DMV customer service center and apply for a substitute title using the application form. You will also pay $10 then you’ll have the new title.

After receiving the title given by the lien holder, but likewise it is lost and damaged, you will need release letter from the lender as a proof that the lien is already fulfilled. Likewise when the company merged and changed it name or address, you should call the State Corporation Commission to get the new name or address of the company. Or if the company is out of business, get a letter from the State Corporation Commission stating so, and bring it to the DMV. Also bring any receipts, cancelled checks, or other evidence showing that the loan has been paid off, with a notarized personal statement that says you have satisfied the lien.

Recording Supplemental Liens

You will be paying $6, to record the supplemental lien and you can get a supplemental lien title, to the DMV and you should present a completed Application for Supplemental and Transfer Liens.

Transferring Ownership

When you are selling or transferring a ownership of your vehicle but under lien, you should call your lien holder / lender. The lender will then transfers and provide the Virginia title a signed Transfer of Certification of Lien Information form.

The lender should satisfy the existing lien and record a new one for the buyer, if the buyer is taking over the unpaid balance of your loan and he or she was not on the original contract.

The buyer will also have to pay 3% sales and use tax on the unpaid loan balance plus any additional amount paid to the seller, even if the lien holder does not file a supplemental lien. And if the question arises, you do not need a driver's license to own a title.

Surrendering Leased Vehicles

When the lease term is up or your lease is otherwise terminated, you have no further obligation to the DMV for the vehicle if you are relinquishing it. The lessor (owner) will assume responsibility for it.

Retaining Leased Vehicles

If you want to retain a leased vehicle, you must have it titled in your name. You are required to pay the sale and use tax for the vehicle residual value. You might be exempted paying the sales and tax:

(a) By paying the sale and use tax on behalf of the lessor; or,

(b) When you directly purchase the vehicle from the lessor or from the original dealer who lease it.

Likewise when you buy it from another dealer, you indebted sales and use tax. Also, the title must be issued to a person named on the lease, and the lease cannot have been to a business or any commercial entity.

Adding or Deleting a Name

You should be able to complete the Application for Supplemental and Transfer Liens or Replacement and Substitute Titles when wanting to add a name to the existing title. Yet you should carry it out to any DMV location and bring with you all the applicable fees. When deleting a name to the existing title, the owner will then complete the Section A on the title certificate.

Changing Your Name on a Title

Likewise in other case, when changing your name on a title you should be able to present to any DMV location the following: the Application for Change of Existing Vehicle Record and the Application for Supplemental and Transfer Liens or Replacement and Substitute Titles completely filled in; the proof of name change such as divorce decree, marriage license, or court order; of course, the existing title certificate; and, a $10 fee for substitute title.

Transferring a Title as a Gift

When you freely contributed your vehicle, you should fill in the Section A of the title completely. You should sign as “gift” the space where it asks how much you sold your vehicle. Then the recipient will complete the buyer's section.

Transferring a Title in the Event of Death

Since death is unexpected the transferring of ownership of the vehicle is possible through the will of the deceased owner or by jurisdictional process especially when it is joint ownership.

§ Joint Ownership - When the ownership of the vehicle is shared by either two or more persons, you will obtain the title you should be able to provide proof of identity, the vehicle title, certified or notarized death certificate, and the payment for all fees which are payable to cash, check, or credit card.

§ Inherit by WillWhen the ownership of the vehicle is obtained through the will of the past owner. You are indeed not obliged to pay for the sale and use tax likewise you should bring the following to any DMV office: the vehicle title, proof of identity, either of the completed Statement of Authority to Assigned Title or the notarized death certificate, and the payment of all applicable fees which are payable to cash, check, or credit card.

§ Executor or Administrator of the Estate – When the ownership of the vehicle is decided upon by the executor or administrator of the estate, you must deliver the flowing to any DMV office: the certified or notarized death certificate, proof of identity, the vehicle title, court issued document or will appointing the executor or administrator, and cash, check, or credit card which are options to pay all applicable fees.


The Driver License Division of the Department of Public Safety has published the Utah Driver Handbook which discusses the rules when operating a vehicle on the roads of Utah.

Some of the topics contained in the handbook are how to get a driver license; rules of the road; traffic signs, signals, and road markings; basic driving skills; how accidents may affect you; license revocation and suspension; driving under the influence of alcohol; the point system; driving records; registration, inspection, and equipment; RVs and large vehicles; driver license field offices; defensive driving courses and many others.

You can also download the handbook in its PDF format online but be sure to have the free Adobe Reader software in your computer to access the documents. The handbook also caters to Spanish speaking drivers (Manual de Conducir de Utah en Espanol).

For commercial drivers, a Commercial Vehicle Driver Handbook is published to aid them on additional topics on obtaining a commercial driver license (CDL), driving safely, transporting cargo safely, transporting passengers, air brakes, combination vehicles, tank vehicles, hazardous materials vehicles, and the tests that CDL applicants must pass to receive their commercial license. If you intend to drive a commercial vehicle, you must study this handbook in addition to the Utah Driver Handbook.


The Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division (MVED) of the Utah State Tax Commission, which is a tax agency, has very knotty rules and procedures for motor vehicle dealers. Running a dealership requires a lot of paperwork to be done. Every transaction must be properly documented. This is an implication of the strict regulations imposed by the MVED due to the presence of fraudulent dealers around. Engaging in this type of business will require you to understand every single detail in the auto industry. Here is some detailed information and links that will acquaint you with the system of dealership and will help you manage it effectively to remain in compliance with the Utah State Tax Commissions and the MVED.

Dealer license

A dealer’s license is usually required if you sell three or more vehicles a year. However, a license is not required if you sell your own vehicles that you owned for at least 12 months.

Dealer’s license has two types. A dealer’s license for new motor vehicles allows you to sell and dismantle new and used vehicles and run a body shop. This includes trailers that have an empty weight of at least 2,000 pounds.

The other is a dealer’s license for used motor vehicles which allow you to sell used vehicles only. The same two types of dealer’s licenses apply with dealers of with new or used motorcycles, snowmobiles, off-highway vehicles, and small trailers that have en empty weight of 750 to 1,999 pounds.

Your license certificate must be displayed on your shop or store. Carry your license card with you whenever you are in the job or driving one of the vehicles. Regardless of the date of issuance of your license, it expires every June 30 annually at midnight. License fee will not be reduced for licensing periods shorter than one year.


You need to provide a place for all documents in your automobile store because everything is to be documented and the record must be kept for at least five years. You should always be prepared to show the records when an MVED employee or police officer pops up at your business and looks for it.

The records you need to keep are record of every vehicle bought or exchanged, or received or accepted for sale or exchange, record of every used part or used accessory bought or acquired, record of every motor vehicle bought or acquired and wrecked or dismantled, all buyers' orders, contracts, odometer statements, temporary permit records, financing records, and all other documents related to the purchase, sale, or consignment of motor vehicles.

You should also keep records of the name and address of the person to whom any motor vehicle or motor vehicle body, chassis, or engine is sold or disposed of, and a description of the vehicle by year, make, and vehicle identification number (VIN).


The lien-holder must be notified through a correspondence if in case you accept a trade-in from a customer who still owes a balance on the loan for the vehicle. You must be the one to notify the lien-holder and pay the balance within 21 days after the vehicle is sold or 15 days from the date of the full payment of the vehicle you sold.

You are given five days to inform the lien-holder through a letter that the sale has been withdrawn if the sale falls through within 21 days. The trade-in vehicle must then be returned to the customer.

Third-party warranties

From the date you sell a third-party warranty or service contract to a customer, you must pay the warranty or service contract company. Within 15 days of the sale the warranty or service contract must now be valid. Failure to pay the warranty or service contract company within 15 days will make you accountable to the customer for any damages covered by the warranty. Moreover, you may face a dealer's license suspension.

Salvage vehicles

A salvage vehicle denotes a vehicle that suffered too much damage due to an accident, flood, or other event that it is more expensive to repair it than the fair market value of the vehicle. Rebuilt or restored vehicle is named to a salvage vehicle that is repaired in order to function normally.

A dealer must inform both the customer and the prospective lien-holder of the vehicle’s status by using the Form TC-814 before marketing a salvage or rebuilt/restored vehicle. This form is only available at the MVED. This may also be recognizably displayed in the bottom of the passenger-side windshield when it is advertised for sale.

Safety inspections

Prior for the buyer to get a temporary license, the vehicle must be submitted for a Utah safety inspection. An emissions test is also compulsory in some counties. The dealer may either submit the car for inspection first before selling it or sell the car as it is without issuing buyer a temporary permit. In order to pass the inspection, the dealer must perform any necessary repairs to the vehicle.

Registration and title

The dealer has 30 days to obtain a registration and license plate for the buyer from the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV). You only have 21 days to complete it if you sell a vehicle to another dealer. Aside from these, the dealer should have issued the buyer a temporary permit in order to legally drive the vehicle. Otherwise, if the temporary permit is not issued, you are only given 48 hours to deliver the title. You can raise your questions to:

Division of Motor Vehicles
210 N. 1950 W.
Salt Lake City, UT 84134
(801) 297-7780

Monthly dealer report of sales

The sale is reported on the title application when you issue a temporary permit for a sold vehicle and complete the registration paperwork for the customer. If you did not issue a temporary permit, the sale is reported by submitting a Motor Vehicle Dealer Monthly Report of Sales.

Permits and plates

The MVED issues the following permits for unregistered vehicles aside from the temporary permits that the dealer provides the buyer.

These permits are extension permits (for when a temporary permit expires before the dealer has registered the vehicle), nonresident permits (for those who buy a vehicle in Utah for registration in another state), loaded demonstration permits (for the dealer to use a dealer plate to demonstrate an unregistered loaded vehicle to a customer), in-transit permits (that allow dealers 96 hours to transport unregistered vehicles on Utah highways), and dismantling permits (for dismantling a vehicle or taking it to a licensed dismantler, crusher, or salvage dealer).

License plates are also issued by the MVED by type.

The first type is the dealer plate for transporting unlicensed vehicles owned or consigned by the dealer on public highways. Dealer plates may not be placed on vehicles you have sold or leased, nor may they be used on relatives' cars. They may only be used by dealers on vehicles that belong to the dealership. Just like dealer licenses, dealer plates expire every year on June 30 and must be renewed annually. If the dealership sold less than three vehicles in the previous year, the dealer plates will not be renewed.
The other types of license plates are dismantler plates, manufacturer plates, and transporter plates.


Utah prescribed advertising regulations to dealers. Any violation made result to serious penalties. You must review the summary of regulations.

Odometers, mileage, and disclosure

It is required that an odometer of the car is functioning properly when registering a vehicle in Utah. Except when taking a vehicle for repair, it is illegal to drive a vehicle with a malfunctioning and damaged odometer. Odometer reading must be accurate at all times that is why it is illegal to install a device that alters the true odometer reading. You cannot also sell a car with an odometer altering device. Moreover, to issue a false odometer statement or to tamper with a vehicle's odometer in any means is punishable by the law.

Under the law, a signed Odometer Disclosure Statement must be supplied by dealers to the buyer. A repair or replacement label must be noted in the disclosure statement if there are any, and the vehicle must have a decal for this condition that must be placed on the driver's side door frame for good. The decal is available at the MVED.

Lemon Law

It is under the Lemon Law that anyone who purchased or leased a new car or RV is entitled of a refund or replacement if the vehicle has significant defects that cannot be fixed.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008


The state of Georgia has a lot to offer when it comes to preparation for the exams for those who wishes to acquire a driver’s license. This is definitely a great help for those who want to become a driver so that they may know the dos and the don’ts of driving. Some of the publications offered by the state of Georgia include the handbook as well as the manual. Both of the publications are given by the state for free. Locals of Georgia can drop by anytime at their local driver’s license office and grab a copy of the manual or the handbook. For some who have internet connection, they can download it online and have it printed if they want a copy in black and white.

However, the manual as well as the handbook can be read, saved, printed only if the user has an installed software called Adobe Reader. Some of the manuals that are available online are the Driver’s Manual for all the regular types of vehicle, the Motorcycle Operator Manual for those who want to drive a motorcycle, the Commercial Driver’s Manual for those who are applying as a commercial driver, and there is also a manual for the school bus drivers.

But the mentioned manuals above are limited only in English language. However, the written test can be taken in different languages aside from English. All of the locations in Georgia offer the same test printed in different versions. If you think that you already read and studied the manuals very well, then you are now ready to take a written test in your local driver’s license office. But before you can do so, you must first call the office and have a special schedule or appointment. You can’t directly proceed to the location without getting a schedule.


In the state of Georgia, there are cars and other vehicles called “lemon.” Lemon cars used to be left and neglected by the manufacturers, leaving consumers frustrated with the new vehicle that they bought. Fortunately there is now a Lemon Law which protects the consumers as well as their investment when buying or leasing a brand new car. Vehicle manufacturers are now held accountable with all the problems that the new car have.

In the same state, every time somebody lease or buy a new car, they are required to pay three dollars ($3) for the Warranty Rights Act fee. The said fee will help add funds to the program of the state that offers free arbitration between the troubled consumers and the manufacturer of the vehicle that they bought so that the issues regarding lemon cars and Lemon Law will be resolved.

Since this law is quite new, many car owners are asking whether their car is covered by the Lemon Law or not. Unfortunately, the Lemon Law is only limited to the cars purchased from vehicle manufacturers. Moreover, only vehicles under the possession of the original owners are covered by the Lemon Law. The same goes for the leased cars or vehicles. Once the ownership has been changed, the car cannot be counted as a vehicle protected by the Lemon Law.

To answer the questions of those who are not yet familiar with the Lemon Law, below are some of the vehicles that are not protected by the said law in Georgia.

- second-hand vehicles that are leased or bought

- if the title of the car indicates that it is already a used vehicle

- motorcycles

- trucks that are 10,000 pounds

- ATVs or all-terrain vehicles

- Boats

- Vehicles that are not classified as motor vehicles


In the state of Georgia, there are cars and other vehicles called “lemon.” Lemon cars used to be left and neglected by the manufacturers, leaving consumers frustrated with the new vehicle that they bought. Fortunately there is now a Lemon Law which protects the consumers as well as their investment when buying or leasing a brand new car. Vehicle manufacturers are now held accountable with all the problems that the new car have.

In the same state, every time somebody lease or buy a new car, they are required to pay three dollars ($3) for the Warranty Rights Act fee. The said fee will help add funds to the program of the state that offers free arbitration between the troubled consumers and the manufacturer of the vehicle that they bought so that the issues regarding lemon cars and Lemon Law will be resolved.

Since this law is quite new, many car owners are asking whether their car is covered by the Lemon Law or not. Unfortunately, the Lemon Law is only limited to the cars purchased from vehicle manufacturers. Moreover, only vehicles under the possession of the original owners are covered by the Lemon Law. The same goes for the leased cars or vehicles. Once the ownership has been changed, the car cannot be counted as a vehicle protected by the Lemon Law.

To answer the questions of those who are not yet familiar with the Lemon Law, below are some of the vehicles that are not protected by the said law in Georgia.

- second-hand vehicles that are leased or bought

- if the title of the car indicates that it is already a used vehicle

- motorcycles

- trucks that are 10,000 pounds

- ATVs or all-terrain vehicles

- Boats

- Vehicles that are not classified as motor vehicles


If you have a custom-built car that is not more than 25 years must undergo the same procedures when it comes to titling, registration, and tagging of a regular vehicle. Some of the requirements that you must submit include the proof of insurance, your valid driver’s license issued at Georgia, and the payment for the appropriate taxes as well as fees. The standard title fee is only $18 and the registration fee is $20. However, there are no standard fees for the taxes and tags since it depends on your county.

A title cannot be issued to a vehicle unless it passed the emission tests and standards set by the state.

For those who own an antique vehicle or vehicles that are more than 25 years, you can apply for a special license plate. These plates can be issued anywhere in the state of Georgia.

If you want to know more about titling, registering or tagging your antique car or your custom-made car, you may contact and ask your local county tax commissioner. You may also ask the fees so you can prepare the amount before you head out to their office.

Registration Periods

Depending on the area where you are located, you can have any of the 3 registration periods available in the state. If your area have a year-round registration period, you must renew your vehicle registration annually at least thirty 30 days before your birthday.

In counties such as Stewart, Calhoun, Clay, Turner, Mitchell, Charlton, Randoph, and McIntosh, they have adopted a four-month registration system. Locals of these counties may renew their vehicle registration from the month of January until the month of April. This system is also known as the non-staggered registration. The last type of registration period is staggered registration where it is applicable only in Talbot County.


Driving Manuals

It is only possible to have good, conscientious drivers on the road if they are also correspondingly educated. This is fact that is recognized by the Arkansas state Motor Vehicle Division. That is also the background reasoning of the MVD and behind the publication of several different handbooks and driving manuals which provide information on the requirements to be met for acquiring driver’s licenses, safe driving and maintaining your vehicle. The handbooks cover many driving related topics in detail and provide tips for the written and driving tests. You do not even have to invest any money since the handbooks and manuals of the MVD are a free source of information and one that should be taken advantage of in any case. All you have to do is invest some of your time and put in some effort to learn all the information given.

There are several places where these driving manuals can be obtained, such as local MVD offices, extension sites or even online as free PDF downloads which can be opened and read with the Adobe Reader. Obtaining and reading these manuals will be the best way to start preparing for written and practical driving tests. All you will need to know of testing procedures is in the Driver License Manual and Customer Service Guide. For those that do not have total command of the English language, the manuals and handbooks are also available in Spanish.

There are also special manuals for those that want other kinds of driving licenses. There is, for example, the Motorcycle Operator Manual and the Commercial Driver’s License Manual. There is much information about safety, driving and special sections focusing on occupations like school bus drivers. The commercial driving manuals and handbooks are not yet fully online. However, the important sections are already available. For complete learning materials it will be necessary to ask for them at one of the MVD offices.


Registering Your Motorcycle

The process of registering a motorcycle in Arkansas is generally the same as that for a car or truck. The fees will be different, though. There is a flat fee for the title, a registration fee and an air quality research fee. These are minimal amounts and normally do no exceed $15. The most wide ranging fee is the vehicle license tax, or VLT, and this is calculated instead of a personal property tax that is charged by several states. The VLT is based upon the given manufacturer’s base retail price and then takes into consideration variable factors like the amortization. This results in a lower amount to pay for registration each year.

Calculating out this amount is simple math work. If you purchase a car that is worth $25,000 then the MVD will charge 60% of that amount and then reduce it by 16.25% for each subsequent year that the vehicle remains registered in Arkansas as depreciation. For vehicles registered prior to August 1, 1998 there will be a depreciation of 15%. This resulting number is then divided by 100 and then the MVD multiplies the quotient by $2.80 for a new vehicle or $2.89 for a used one. This means that a vehicle for $25,000 will have a vehicle license tax of $420 for the first year, $363.06 the second, and so on. It could hardly be simpler.

Those that own mobile homes will only have a $7 title fee.

Testing of Emissions

If your motorcycle has an engine size of more than 90cc than you are required to undergo emissions tests, but only or you are registered in the metropolitan area of Phoenix or in Tucson.

Renewing Your Registration

It is easy to renew your vehicle registration in the state of Arkansas. The MVD has an online renewal system and all you will need is your address and plate number to complete the process. It only takes a few minutes of your time and a credit card is required to pay the fees.



When doing any kind of business with motor vehicle departments in the fifty states you will have to fill out a form or application pertaining to the action you want to take. This is also true for the Arkansas state Motor Vehicle Division, or MVD for short. As a special service to their customers, the MVD is now offering many of the necessary forms and applications in a PDF format which can be found online. In order to do anything with these files you will need the free version of the Adobe Reader software. Once printed, you can fill them out at home. However, if that is not for you then all the forms are also still available at local MVD offices.

Not only can you nowadays download necessary forms without extra charges, but you can also complete many common transactions online. This is done directly on the MVD website and this is even more convenient since you do not have to save or print out any forms. Online transactions include renewing your vehicle registration, renewing your driver’s license, registering as a organ donor, submitting a notice of a vehicle being sold. There are also many other things that can be completed online with only a click of the mouse.

There are altogether more than 150 online forms available which can be downloaded for free from the MVD website. The following list contains only the most often used applications. However, this is not a complete list and you can also do a search for specific forms needed by entering the desired name, number or category.

· Application for Title and Registration

· Motor Vehicle Record Request

· Application for a Disability/Hearing Impaired Plate/Placard

· Power of Attorney

· Bill of Sale

· Request for Plate Refund Credit

· Lien Release

· Application for Special Plates

· Identification Requirements


Emission and Smog Inspections

As a result Arkansas air pollution being emitted by cars and trucks the Department of Transportation and Department of Environmental Protection, have joined together and in implemented an emissions inspection program.

Testing the Emissions

As a result of this joint force to control air quality the state now requires all vehicles to have a yearly test. In an effort to help you stay abreast of your renewal date the state is stamping your renewal notice with emissions inspection required.

The price of emissions testing varies from station to station. You're encouraged to contact the station prior to having your emission test conducted to confirm the cost.

Failing the Emission Test

Any event, the cheered vehicle failed the test, you will be required to bring your vehicle up to standards. Your second test is free of charge, assuming you return to the same inspection station within a 30 day period.

In the event your vehicle fails for a second time, you may up flying for a waiver of one year, but are required to provide proof that 150 or more dollars were spent on emission repairs.

Vehicles Exempt from Emissions Testing

Motorcycles, as well as all registered antiques, street lives, or collectibles are exempt from emissions testing.

10 Day Extension

In the event you are out of state for 30 days or more when you're inspection comes do you have 10 days. Upon returning to the state of Pennsylvania, to have your vehicle’s emission tested. As proof of being out-of-state it is advisable that you maintain a written record such as receipts from your out-of-state trip.

Waivers Limited to Conditions

There Is an Opportunity to Receive a One-Year Waiver if he had spent $150 or more in repairs. But this is granted to you by a certified in emissions station. However, vehicles that have been tampered with or have had their emissions modified will not be considered for a waiver.